Friday, January 1, 2010

We now have FOUR turkeyheads around here!

"Turkeyhead" is a term of endearment around here. Here is our fourth....and isn't she beautiful?

Sabrina Rose was born at 5:11 am on October 8.
I was due to be induced on Oct. 9 but about 4:15am on the 8th I woke up with contractions already 3 minutes apart and lasting over 30 seconds. By 4:30 I knew we needed to hurry. We woke up the kids, threw Patrick into the shower cuz he had wet the bed, I ran around in between contractions trying to pack a bag b/c I hadn't bothered....We were in the van by 4:45. The doc was on the way to the hospital; we were on our way to Grandma's to drop the kids off. When we got to the turn to go to her house, my contractions were less than 2 minutes apart and I said we needed to just get to the hospital. The fact that I might deliver in the van still had not entered my head. I had never gone into labor on my own. I have always been induced. I just fingured I was going to get to the hospital and make a fool of myself in the waiting room cuz I was in such pain! Well, within a few minutes my water broke and the baby crowned. I told Thomas I had to push. He just looked at me and said, "What do you mean you have to push????!!!!" He was still driving (thank God it was so early in the morning....cuz the man was breaking all kinds of traffic laws). I didn't even have time to tell him to pull over. I only pushed once, and out little Sabrina popped. I caught her, made sure she was breathing, and wrapped her in Lily's blanket she's had since she was a baby (and thankfully had brought with her cuz it was quite chilly that early morning). We were still in motion and only about 3 miles from the hospital so we just kept going. Thomas drove up to the 3rd level of the parking garage at Baptist hospital, parked in front of the big double doors, and ran in to get help. I am not sure, but it seemed like about a dozen nurses ran out. They cut the umbilical cord in the front seat where I was still sitting, whisked Sabrina off to NICU to make sure all was well, got me in a wheel chair and wheeled me off to delivery to finish delivering the afterbirth (DUDE! That hurt just as bad...who knew?!) Meanwhile, my other 3 kiddos got to witness this whole thing. I was very worried they'd all been scarred for life. They seem ok now, but Maggie can still tell the whole story to whoever asks. It is something I don't think they'll ever forget. I know I won't.
We are so thankful everything went well. Sabrina was perfect. I was perfect. We could not ask for a better outcome. God is good. And honestly, I felt better after her birth than I had after any of the others. It was nice not having all the drugs, but I tell you what, if I had known I'd deliver in the van, I would have stayed home :)

3 comments:

Mom said...

I absolutely LOVE that picture of the 4 of them! What a beautiful family you have, my daughter. It truly touches my heart.

Carrie said...

Love you, Mom :)

starbucksgirl said...

Carrie, what a great story. Just wanted to say hi and tell you that I miss you. Love, Kelly