Thursday, November 15, 2007

Apple Harvest Days

I am very behind in my posting. I have many great pictures and things to share with you all, but I haven't been able to sit very long at the computer to get it all done, thanks to my stupid back. Well, I am recovering from the spasms and trip to the ER (Valium is a lovely thing in its proper place!) and I am able to sit for a small spell at this here computer-thingy....
So, on October 19th, Thomas, Lily, Patrick and I went to Bell Buckle, TN (isn't that a great name?) to Kingdom Academy of the Arts' Apple Harvest Day. This amazing family lives on I don't know how many acres, and teaches classes on Christianity and the Arts and then general "lost arts" sorts of things. A lot of it ties into historical studies. For example, in the next coming years we will be studying pioneer and American Indian times. They have 2 day camps devoted to both these subjects. They also offer camps on Colonial times where girls learn to sew their own ball gowns and learn dances of the times like the Virginia Reel etc. and then at the end of the camp is a Father/Daughter Ball. I am amazed at these people! I have heard the mother/wife of this clan speak at our annual homeschool convention. They have 4 children who are grown or nearly grown and they are adopting 3 siblings from Guatemala who have lost their parents. Anyway, I am just in awe........ The Tuggles (that's their name by the way) have a lovely log home, barns, horses etc. Now! Back to Apple Harvest Day......... This was our first experience with this camp, and I fervently hope it will not be our last! We started our day out sitting on hay bales arranged in a circle for a short devotional and prayer time. It was amazing that she was able to point to so many Scriptures where God talks about apples. Did you know that we are the apples of His eye? I knew that, but I just love it :) It was the most gorgeous, sunny, mild day with a nice breeze. The kids got to make individual apple pies over a campfire in these long-handled round pie irons. They helped make apple butter in a big copper kettle over an open fire. They made apple soap, dried apple ornament decorations, apple quilt patches and homemade applesauce. The best part (besides eating the apple pie-yum!) was using a real old cider press. The fresh apple cider was beyond compare--nothing like the stuff you buy in the store! My favorite part of the day, was learning how to burn images into wood using a magnifying glass and the sun. It took A LOT of patience, and most of the kids gave up after a minute or two, so you'd see all these adults congregated over at this one table finishing what their kids started. I can't describe the fun we had! It was just a wonderful day! Here are some pictures:





























As I sit here typing, I am burning a heavenly-scented, all-natural, Fall-blend, orangey-clovey-spicy candle. Something all-natural in my all-natural candle, is making me cough and wheeze and get teary (naturally!). So, off I go to blow it out and do up the dishes. 'Night 'Night!







2 comments:

D said...

Wow, that sounds like lots of fun!! I had to laugh out loud at the last part about the all-natural candle! hee hee! ;)
Good to see you blogging again.
D

Nicole said...

I bet Lily is already dreaming up her dress for the father/daughter dance. :)