Tuesday, September 11, 2007

As if I Needed One More Hobby.....

Well.....I am learning to sew. It is great fun! I have learned how to follow a pattern (and also learned that they can be extremely VAGUE and sometimes downright WRONG)! Here are my projects over the last month:

A diaper bag. It is Simplicity 5527. It took me 20 hours! It was maybe not the easiest pattern to try first, but I know A LOT more than I did before. It is padded, interfaced and lined with an inside pocket and 2 side pockets. It is made and lined with the fabric my mom made my new bedroom curtains from (which I adore and am so excited to have a bag made from too!). It is Waverly Paisley Prelude in "sepia". Here are some more views:

It was aggravating beyond description, but I am really happy with it now :)
Next up..... A tote bag for Paula's little girl Faithlyn who will be 6 on Friday. It is based off a pattern in a book I got from the library. The fabric is scraps from the curtains my mom made Lily a few years ago and some others I had bought for something else long ago and never used.

more views:

I am making a dress up wardrobe for Lily as a birthday present. Here is a 7 gore doubled organza skirt. I kinda made the pattern up based on a tutorial online. The fabric is from the $1/yard table at WalMart.


Here is a headband I made Lily:



Here is an Autumn table runner I made for us. It is doublesided.


I am not sure I like sewing as much as knitting, but I definitely like it a lot! And with the $1/yd fabric table at Walmart, I've already filled two storage bins with fabric. Between yarn and fabric, my family may have to trade me in for an extra closet :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am VERY impressed! I don't think too many people would take on much more than the table runner to start off with :) You did a beautiful job. I can hardly wait to see what you try next!

D said...

WOW Girlie! You are oozing talent! I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE that diaper bag!

Great job! I see a potential home business in your future! ;)
D

Anonymous said...

20 hours on a diaper bag! That is a commitment. You rock!
Hey, thanks for sending me this link. I didn't know about it until today...I think!